Having 5 servings of fresh fruit and veg each day can do wonders for one. Fruit and veg contain important minerals, vitamins, fibres and plant chemicals. Switching to 5 servings of fresh fruit and veg can protect you against heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
Health benefits of 5 servings of fresh fruit and veg each day
Fresh fruit and veg provide nutrients that are vital for health and the maintenance of your body. Here are some benefits of consuming 5 servings of fresh fruit and veg each day:
- Fruit and veg are rich in dietary fibre that aids a healthy digestive system and lowers risk of bowel cancer.
- They are a great source of vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, potassium and folate.
- They are completely diet friendly and are both low-calorie and low-fat.
- Protect against some cancers and lowers one’s risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Fruit and veg contain phytochemicals that have great antioxidant potential. Opt for different fruit and veg that come in a variety of colours.
How to add more fresh fruit and veg to your diet
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) one portion amounts to 80g. This means that one should consume a minimum of 400g of fruit and veg a day to reap the full benefits. It is recommended to consume 2 ½ cups of vegetables per day and 2 cups of fruit per day.
There are easy ways to add more fresh fruit and veg to your diet. Start by making one simple change to each meal.
Start your day the right way
For breakfast, add sliced bananas to oatmeal
Enjoy warm toast with mashed avocado
Blend your favourite fruits into a smoothie
Snack time is fruit time
For a delicious mid-morning or energy-boosting afternoon snack, have sliced apples with peanut butter.
Dip bell peppers in humus
Enjoy cold cucumber sliced with a Greek yogurt dip
Enjoy a fresh salad with grated carrots
Opt for broccoli florets instead of chips
Add spinach to a chicken wrap
What’s for dinner?
Add thinly sliced zucchini to your favourite pasta
Add Kale to a steamy bowl of soup
For dessert, try homemade banana chips
In conclusion, as with any lifestyle change, your chances of being successful will improve if your goals are both obtainable and sustainable. Remember to make choices that fit your lifestyle. Kiaat Private Hospital has a team of committed professionals who take pride in displaying kindness, concern and sensitivity towards patients. Speak to one of our medical professionals today for advice on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.